Growing demand and industry deregulation has led to an increasingly large number of landline and mobile telephone companies throughout India.
Many of these companies provide landline and/or mobile telephone services in the Bangalore area.
Click on phone company names listed below for additional information on company websites - including the latest updates on service availability in Bangalore as well as coverage and pricing plans.
Check here for more information on India's telecommunications industry, including regulatory agencies and major trade groups.
If you are aware of changes to the company information below, please leave a comment.
Bangalore Landline Operators
The following telecom companies provide landline phone service in the Bangalore / Bengaluru area.
- Bharti Airtel - Bharti Airtel is an integrated carrier with growing presence across all of India's 23 telecom circles. The company provides landline and mobile services in 94 cities and has the largest mobile subscriber base.
- BSNL Bangalore Telecom - Government-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) is the largest and oldest telephone operator in India. It provides both landline and mobile phone service. Until the late 1990s, it had a monopoly on telecom services and is still the largest phone company in the country.
- Reliance Communications - Reliance Communications has grown rapidly throughout India since launching in 2002. The company provides both landline and mobile services in Bangalore.
- Tata Indicom - Tata Indicom provides both landline and mobile services in Bangalore. The company has grown rapidly since launching in 1996 and especially since the acquisition of Hughes Telecom in 2002.
Back to top
Bangalore Mobile Operators
The following telecom companies provide GSM or CDMA mobile phone service in the Bangalore / Bengaluru area.
- Bharti Airtel (GSM) - Bharti Airtel has become India's largest mobile telephone company and has the only truly national network. It provides services in all of India's 23 telecom circles. Airtel provides GSM mobile services.
- BSNL Bangalore Telecom (GSM) - Government-owned BSNL provides GSM mobile services in Bangalore, Karnataka, and throughout much of India under the CellOne and Excel brand names. In certain areas, the company also offers CDMA wireless local loop (WLL) service that provides last-mile connectivity into their fixed landline network. WLL is a hybrid mobile/fixed-line service.
- Reliance Communications (CDMA) - Reliance Mobile operates a CDMA network in Karnataka and elsewhere in India. The company's mobile operations have grown rapidly throughout India since launching in 2002.
- Spice Communications (GSM) - Spice India is a smaller mobile player with operations so far only in Karnataka and Punjab. The company serves about 3M customers over a GSM network. Spice, which is listed on the Bombay exchange, is a joint venture between Modi Wellvest and Telekom Malaysia.
- Tata Indicom (CDMA) - Tata Indicom provides CDMA mobile services in Bangalore and 1,000 other cities across India. The company has grown rapidly throughout India since launching in 1996 and especially since the acquisition of Hughes Telecom in 2002.
- Vodafone India (GSM) - Vodafone India provides GSM mobile services in Bangalore and elsewhere. The company acquired Hutchinson Telecom in 2007 to accelerate growth. In the same year, it also acquired additional GSM mobile licenses.
- Aircel (GSM) - Aircel does not (as of Aug 08) provide services in Bangalore. However, the company won GSM licenses to do so in 2007 and has announced the intent to go live in the area by 2009.
Back to top
Back to top